Globally, 1.2 billion people lack access to electricity and 760 million people lack access to clean drinking water. Providing clean and reliable electricity and water are two of the largest engineering challenges facing society. Addressing this challenge motivates our research.
- System design and development of smart, integrated and robust water & energy systems
- Experimental characterization, simulation and design optimization at the systems level of coupled water and energy systems
- Development of new energy technologies
- Application of machine learning, Artificial Intelligence and Big Data for optimal maintenance and reduced system degradation
- Additive Manufacturing, Laser Manufacturing
- Development of mechatronic systems
- Energy systems analysis & modeling including combined heat & power units, solar, wind, tidal, nuclear, small modular reactors, energy storage systems and hydroelectric turbines
Our research has a fundamental experimental basis and also uses design optimization, simulation, systems modeling and material characterization to develop new technology for transforming our global energy future, and mitigating & adapting to climate change.